Perfect for breakfast, lunch or tea these tasty and nutritious bowls are welcome any time of day
- 120g bulgur wheat, washed and drained
- 600ml cold water
- ½ teaspoon Marmite
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ½ sliced red chilli (or pinch of chilli flakes)
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- Grated fresh ginger to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 50g kale, washed thoroughly, tough stalks removed
- Poached or fried egg to serve
Put the bulgur wheat in a pan with the water and bring to the boil.
Simmer for 15 minutes or until soft but still retaining a slight chewy bite.
Stir in the Marmite for the last five minutes or so of cooking,
Meanwhile, fry the onion slowly until soft and turning golden.
Add the chilli, garlic and ginger for the last 5 minutes of cooking with the cumin and pepper.
Stir in the bulgur wheat with any remaining cooking water.
Continue to cook, over a moderate heat, stirring frequently, until any remaining liquid is absorbed.
Pour a kettleful of boiling water over the kale in a colander: it will wilt nicely.
Stir the kale into the bulgur mixture, cook for 3 more minutes, stirring frequently, and serve topped with a poached or fried egg.