Cucumbers make surprisingly tasty fritters: perfect on a warm summer evening in the garden with a glass of something cold.
Serves 4 as a snack or side dish
- 1 large cucumber, peeled, ends removed
- 2 tablespoons plain flour seasoned to taste with salt, ground white & cayenne and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg beaten with 1 dessertspoon milk
- 4 small slices of dry wholemeal seeded bread, blitzed in a food processor and toasted in a dry frying pan
- Sufficient oil to cover base of frying pan to a depth of 1cm
Cut cucumber into ½ cm slices.
Dredge in flour, dip in egg and roll in breadcrumbs.
Heat oil in pan over a moderate heat and cook the fritters for 5-6 minutes in total, turning from time to time until the crumbs are golden and the cucumber just tender.
Serve immediately whilst fresh and hot with sour cream dip or a sweet chilli sauce.
Sour Cream Dip
Stir together 200ml sour cream with garlic, salt black pepper and snipped chives to taste.
Add a teaspoon of white wine vinegar to the dip for extra zing similar to American ranch dressing
See also Smacked Cucumber Relish